You are here
The Office of the Federal Public Defender for the Eastern District of Virginia is accepting applications for the position of Financial Administrator in its Alexandria office. Pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3006A, the Office provides legal representation to indigent defendants in federal criminal cases and related matters.
The Financial Administrator provides assistance and advice to the Federal Public Defender and the Administrative Officer in financial and budget matters. General areas of responsibility include: financial management and analysis, budget management and analysis, accounting systems and controls, and staff training in financial issues.
Including, but not limited to:
1) Management of the Office’s day-to-day accounting operations, including:
- Creating and maintaining contracts with all vendors and experts.
- Preparing and reviewing payments, ensuring accuracy and appropriateness.
- Maintaining and analyzing all accounting records.
- Monitoring status of funds, reconciliation reports, and all obligations and expenditures.
2) Assistance to the Federal Public Defender and Administrative Officer in all aspects of financial administration and management, including:
- Ensuring adherence to federal and local financial regulations and procedures.
- Budget development, projection, and maintenance.
- Recommending the reprogramming of funds between budget classifications and categories as necessary.
- Assisting the Administrative Officer in the districts internal control procedures.
- Acting as a liaison between the administration, experts and vendors.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. This position requires excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment with frequent interruptions. The Financial Administrator must also be professional and approachable. Minimum qualifications for this position are: (1) a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with a concentration in business, accounting, or finance; (2) 3 years of administrative experience; and (3) experience with Microsoft Excel. Position finalists may be tested on their capabilities. This position requires an FBI background investigation, and employment will be provisional and contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the investigation. In addition, the following qualifications are preferred:
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of accounting practices and financial principals.
- Experience with accounting and financial software.
- General knowledge of office practices and legal processes.
- General knowledge of administrative management principles, practices, methods and techniques.
The physical demands of the position are those required to successfully perform the duties described above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. The Financial Administrator will spend most of their time in an office environment. The individual must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasional travel to branch offices will be required. The Financial Administrator must also possess a valid driver’s license.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications within a range from $69,581 - $83,398 (JS 11/1 – JS 12/1). This position offers federal government employment benefits, including health and life insurance, retirement, and participation in the Thrift Savings Plan. Salary is payable only by Electronic Funds Transfer (direct deposit). The position is “at-will” employment. This position is in the excepted service and does not carry the tenure rights of the competitive civil service.
How to Apply
You must include the job announcement number in the subject line. For required documents or additional information, please visit the Employment Opportunities section of www.vae.fd.org.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Federal Public Defender is an equal-opportunity employer.